Keep Your HVAC System Safe When Decorating for Christmas
The holiday season is now upon us, which means it’s time to decorate! Putting up the Christmas tree and getting out your decorations is a great way to get everybody in your business or apartment complex in the holiday spirit. While decorating for Christmas is usually met with feelings of joy, it could also bring on stress if your other affairs aren’t in order. For example, your HVAC system – how will it interfere with all the extra holiday decor? Is it safely out of the way? With that said, our team at Tri-Tech has put together this helpful HVAC system safety guide to follow during the festive season.
Christmas Decorations in Retail Stores and Hospitality Properties
Commercial buildings like retail stores and hospitality properties can be totally transformed during Christmas time, and even adding a few seemingly small holiday decorations can really make your building feel full of the Christmas spirit. Some of the most popular ways to decorate retail stores and hospitality properties include:
- Liven up your storefront windows with string lights
- Integrate Christmas colors into your displays
- Put up some holiday signage around your store
While decorating your store, restaurant, or cafe, it’s important to keep these HVAC safety tips in mind:
- Before you start decorating, schedule a HVAC inspection to ensure your system is operating efficiently. You don’t want to deal with any costly breakdowns during the holiday season. Not to mention, it may take an HVAC technician more time to work around all the extra decorations.
- Try not to decorate with any flammable items. This is especially important in places like restaurants and cafes, where patrons are either comfortably dining or popping in and out all day.
- Make sure all the vents are fully open and there is nothing blocking them.
Christmas Decorations in Apartment Complexes, Office Buildings, and Campuses
As we mentioned before, decorating your apartment complex or your office building is a great way to get everyone in the holiday mood. You can even make a day out of it by asking people to pitch it and help decorate, which can serve as a fun way for everyone to get to know each other better. Apartment and office building decorations often include tinsel, mini Christmas trees and stockings, to name a few.
When decorating your apartment building or office, keep these tips in mind:
- Watch out for tripping hazards. In areas with high foot traffic, you don’t want cords for your lights across the floor, because someone could easily trip and fall.
- Be aware of lights that get too hot. If you’re leaving your Christmas lights on 24/7, be cautious of overheating. If a child is walking around your apartment complex and touches a hot light, it’s a burn hazard.
- Avoid decorations that obscure or interfere with stairwells.
More Safety Tips for Your HVAC System
Now’s the perfect time to schedule an HVAC inspection before putting up your holiday decorations. In addition to an inspection, we recommend that you:
- Change your air filters.
- Ensure your thermostat is visible at all times. Don’t drape any decorations over your thermostat, you need to have quick access to it.
- Have a technician inspect your outdoor unit, as well as your indoor unit.
- Be aware that your HVAC system will most likely be working overtime during the holiday months. With the heating, the Christmas lights, and any additional decorations that require electricity, you need your HVAC system to be as efficient as possible.
For more information about keeping your building safe while getting into the Christmas spirit, or if you have any additional questions about HVAC system safety, please contact our team or visit us at: https://www.tritechenergy.com/.
[…] Originally published at: https://www.tritechenergy.com/blog/hvac-system-safety-during-christmas/ […]