Commercial boiler systems are found in almost every commercial or industrial building, from apartment and office blocks to malls, restaurants and factories. They are designed to operate safely and efficiently, but this doesn’t mean that they cannot be a safety hazard under the right circumstances. Here is some safety advice from commercial boiler system professionals in New Jersey.
Causes of Boiler Accidents
The most common reasons behind a commercial boiler accident are:
- Improper installation
- Lack of maintenance
- Improper use
While routine maintenance can be performed by a boiler operator, professional assistance is needed for a commercial boiler service, tune-ups and repairs. This includes:
- Replacing leaking safety/relief valves
- Repairing steam leaks in steam systems
- Checking limit devices for proper operation
- Checking for leaking boiler sections or tubes
- Setting burners for proper combustion
- Excessive make-up water
- Issues of insufficient or unreliable heating
Common Commercial Boiler Systems Safety Devices
Commercial boiler systems are equipped with a range of built-in devices to help ensure that they operate safely and reliably, preventing boiler damage and even explosions. These devices include:
- Safety valves – This is a device that kicks in to relieve internal pressure within the boiler when it gets too high, often as a result of failures within the system. This is a simple but vital device that prevents boiler explosions, but it can fail as a result of corrosion or restricted flow in the valve, so it’s critical to examine safety valves during regular preventative maintenance procedures.
- Water-level control and low-water fuel cutoff – Water levels within a boiler must never fall below a certain point, and these two systems work together to shut off the boiler and cut off the fuel supply in the event that this occurs. For these systems to work properly, the boiler must be regularly cleared of scale and sludge.
- Water-gauge glass – This is an additional means of judging the water level within the boiler and confirming that it is within advised safety parameters. This device must be kept clean and clear so that a boiler operator can see the water level accurately at a glance.
Professional Installation, Repair and Maintenance of Commercial Boiler Systems in NJ
At Tri-Tech Energy, commercial boiler systems are our specialty. With over 30 years of experience in the HVAC industry, we are able to assist our commercial and industrial clients with all aspects of their heating system, from repairs and maintenance to developing custom heating systems for re-fitted or new buildings. For more information on our company or services, including commercial boiler installation and to book a commercial boiler service, please contact us today or visit our website at https://www.tritechenergy.com/